The Empowerment of Play for the School-Age Child
The information to access the online course will be sent to the email address provided below.
New enrollments are set-up during the following times:
Monday - Friday 7 am – 8 pm pst
Saturday & Sunday 9 am – 8 pm pst
Registrations that are submitted after enrollment hours will be processed the next morning. You will receive an email with your log-in information to access the course within an hour after we open the next business day.
All courses are completely online. Nothing will be shipped.
Enrollment Expires in 1 Year from the Date of Payment
* indicates a required field
Search for Courses
This course MAY be mobile friendly. However, because every device is different, we are unable to guarantee compatibility. Our student support staff is unable to provide technical support when students are attempting to use an iPad, tablet or cell phone to complete an online course. Use of an iPad, tablet, or cell phone is at your own risk.
Washington Core Competency: Curriculum & Learning Environment (3 hours)
Training Delivery Method: Online
Content Focus Group: School-Age Children
Training Type: Annual Continuing Education Training
Training Level: 2
Training Language(s): English
- Recall the definition of play.
- Recall different types of play.
- Recall reasons why play is developmentally necessary for children.
- Identify roles teachers perform when helping children learn through play.
- Identify ways to promote learning through play-based activities.
* Currently Enrolled Students *
- The training was a very easy Posted by Shanell on 3rd Feb 2016
The training was a very easy, go at your own speed type course, and it was very interesting, which kept me wanting to come back to it.
- Flexible Posted by Tiffany on 26th Jan 2015
The time flexibility worked best for me. I was able to go through pages that had info that I already new quickly but was able to spend as much time as I wanted on the pages that had new info/ideas. I loved the specific ideas for different kinds of play. Live chat was very fast and very helpful!
- Enjoyed the idea Posted by Daline on 22nd Oct 2014
I enjoyed the ideas that they promoted. This will give me ideas for the future.
- I loved watching the live videos! Posted by Elizabeth on 12th Aug 2014
I loved watching the live videos! This was a great combo of reading on my own and visual videos I really enjoyed it. I was confused about weather or not I was suppose to comment on some of the questions of if it was voluntary?
- love the whole thing Posted by Tamara on 22nd Jul 2014
love the whole thing- really appreciate the current nature of the information and various ways delivered. I liked the videos shared from other parts of the world and country. It was very relevant and current information blended with things I have learned through my 10 years in the field. It took me longer than 3 hours
- Great ideas Posted by Megan on 1st Jul 2014
I really like the different sensory ideas and all the different ways they can play and get creative
- I really liked this one!!! Thank you Posted by Lori on 28th May 2014
I think this was great and I'm going to have my school age staff take this asap.
- Geat ideas! Posted by Tiffany on 17th Apr 2014
I love the idea of the different work stations and will attempt to fit as many as I can in my space. I've recently changed from taking care of babies and toddlers to school agers and really needed some ideas of fun things for them to do!
2) The information to access the online course will be sent to the email address provided during enrollment hours.
*Times shown are Pacific Standard Time. If you are in Central or Eastern Time, you will need to adjust the time accordingly.
New Enrollments Are Set-Up During the Following Times:
Monday - Friday 7 am – 8 pm
Saturday & Sunday 9 am – 8 pm
Holidays 9 am – 8 pm
3) Registrations that are submitted after enrollment hours will be processed the next morning. You will receive an email with your log-in information to access the course within an hour after we open the next business day.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training is not tested on mobile devices or designed to be used on a mobile device. We are unable to provide technical support if you are attempting to use a mobile device (cell phone, tablet, or any other device other than a computer). And though many students may find that they are able to use their mobile device to complete the course, this training was developed to be done on a computer. Use of a mobile device is at your own risk.
6) This course uses multi-media video presentations. You will be required to view videos on your computer or mobile device in order to complete this course. Some students may find that they need to download Shockwave, Flash player or Java to view videos.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, or Java, in order to log into the course, this is most often the case when trying to use Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.