The Department of Children, Youth and Families (DCYF) offers cost reimbursement for training taken from state-approved trainers in Washington. Professionals who currently work in child care facilities licensed or certified by DCYF can access this opportunity through their MERIT professional record. Previously, this was offered through a contract with the Washington Association for the Education of Young Children (WAEYC). If you have questions about the STARS Scholarship Reimbursement, contact DCYF MERIT directly at email@example.com.
Successful Solutions is unable to assist you with anything regarding the scholarship reimbursement program.
- If you do not have a Statewide Vendor Number, fill out the Statewide Payee Registration Form.
- Follow the Guide to Completing the Statewide Payee Registration From
STARS Training Reimbursement Application Guidelines
- You must have a professional record in MERIT with a STARS ID.
- You must be currently employed in a DCYF licensed or certified facility, in an eligible employment position. You must have this information recorded and confirmed or verified in your MERIT professional record. See chart below for eligible employment positions and how to have your information confirmed or verified.
- You can only apply for training reimbursement once every fiscal year (July 1- June 30th.)
- You can receive a one-time reimbursement for up to $250 per fiscal year.
- The training must be offered by a state-approved trainer. Approved training can be annual continuing education training or the Child Care Basics.
- Continuing Education Proposals (CEP) and non-approved training are not eligible.
- Approved training must have been taken within the previous 12 months.
Eligible Job Positions in DCYF Licensed or Certified Child Care Facilities
Child Care Center (CCC)
Family Child Care Home
What does 'confirmed or verified' employment mean?
Confirmed or verified employment in a child care facility licensed or certified by The Department of Children, Youth and Families (DCYF). Your employer or qualified administrator (such as a center director, family child care home licensee, or DCYF licensor) has confirmed or verified that you work there. This information will display in the “status” column of your employment record as “confirmed/verified” with a DCYF hand-print logo.
How to apply for state-approved training reimbursement:
STARS Reimbursement Instructions
- Sign in to your MERIT professional record at merit.del.wa.gov .
- Go to the “Applications” tab and select “Training Reimbursement.”
- Follow the steps to confirm your personal information – this is important because a check will be issued to the address listed in your professional record.
- Continue to select trainings for which you would like to be reimbursed. MERIT will display all eligible trainings, and you can select as many as necessary to reach the maximum $250 reimbursement limit. You will be prompted to confirm your choices if you select any amount less than $250, just to be sure you are requesting the full amount available to you as you may only apply once per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30).
- Sign and submit your application. You will receive an email as confirmation and your reimbursement will arrive in the mail*. MERIT tracks your state-approved training history for you. This means you do not need to submit proof of completion or any receipts in order to receive your training reimbursement.
*Reimbursements are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and funds are limited for each fiscal year (July 1 – June 30). If funding is low or no longer available for the current fiscal year, you will receive this in an email when you apply. You may re-apply during the next fiscal year beginning July 1. If you have questions, please contact MERIT support services by calling 1.866.482.4325, option 5 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.