Using the ABC Chart to Anticipate and Reduce Biting (Observe)
3 Hours Professional Development Online
The information to access the online course will be sent to the email address provided below.
New enrollments are set-up during the following times:
Monday - Friday 7 am – 8 pm pst
Saturday & Sunday 9 am – 8 pm pst
Registrations that are submitted after enrollment hours will be processed the next morning. You will receive an email with your log-in information to access the course within an hour after we open the next business day.
All courses are completely online. Nothing will be shipped.
Enrollment Expires in 1 Year from the Date of Payment
Scroll down to read the course description.
* indicates a required field
Using the ABC Chart to Anticipate and Reduce Biting
Washington STARS credit: Measurement of Child Progress (3 hours)
Most students are able to use mobile devices such as tablets to complete courses. However, each device is different, and an individual's skill level with the device may determine their success with using a mobile device. Use of an iPad, tablet, or cell phone is at your own risk.
CDA Criteria for this Course
CDA Content Area: Observing and Recording Children's Behavior (3 hour)
Course Difficulty: Level 2 - This course has entry level vocabulary that most students should be able to easily become familiar with. Assignments include peer discussion boards, open-ended and multiple choice questions.
Children bite for many reasons. Different situations often result in biting activity and is often considered a relatively normal part of development. Child care professionals often struggle with this behavior habit that many young children experience, but with the knowledge and tools to work through this period, should be more comfortable. Likewise, parents and children will be more comfortable as well. This course will provide an overview of why biting behavior occurs in most infants and toddlers and how child care professionals can understand the behavior and respond appropriately after creating and documenting any patterns on an ABC Chart.
- Identify the common reasons for biting
- Design an ABC Chart to document biting patterns
- Demonstrate the use of an ABC Chart
- Explain successful preventative measures for biting behaviors
- Apply the knowledge from this course in an early childhood program
- Laptop or PC
- Most students are able to use mobile devices such as tablets to complete courses. However, each device is different, and an individual's skill level with the device may determine their success with using a mobile device.
- Recommended web browser: Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge, Safari and Firefox are other acceptable browsers.
- Internet Explorer is no longer supported by Microsoft, and you may have issues if you use it to take training.
- Make sure you’re using a current operating system (for example, Windows 10 or Apple OS).
- Outdated operating systems may cause technical difficulties.
- Slow internet speed may impact loading time.
- Videos may require Adobe Flash Player.