Current Trends in Observing Children
The information to access the online course will be sent to the email address provided below.
New enrollments are set-up during the following times:
Monday - Friday 7 am – 8 pm pst
Saturday & Sunday 9 am – 8 pm pst
Registrations that are submitted after enrollment hours will be processed the next morning. You will receive an email with your log-in information to access the course within an hour after we open the next business day.
All courses are completely online. Nothing will be shipped.
Enrollment Expires in 1 Year from the Date of Payment
* indicates a required field
Search for Courses
This course MAY be mobile friendly. However, because every device is different, we are unable to guarantee compatibility. Our student support staff is unable to provide technical support when students are attempting to use an iPad, tablet or cell phone to complete an online course. Use of an iPad, tablet, or cell phone is at your own risk.
CDA Content Area: Observing and Recording Progress and Behavior of Children (1 Hour)
Training Delivery Method: Online
Content Focus Group:
- Preschool Age Children
- Pre-Kindergarten Children
- School-Age Children
Training Type: Annual Continuing Education Training
Training Level: 2
Training Language(s): English
(1 hour) Online Self-Paced – Open Enrollment * In recent years there has been an increased focus on early childhood assessment and outcomes. This interest has been fueled by societal concerns, and funding initiatives for private and government organizations. Groundbreaking research documents the importance of early experiences on brain development, and educators, policy makers, and the public now have a deeper understanding of how best to foster young children’s learning. This course will present a brief introduction to current trends in early learning, including Quality Rating and Improvement Systems (QRIS), Early Learning Guidelines (ELGs) and Head Start Child Outcomes Framework (HSCOF).
- Explain the importance of ongoing assessment.
- Gain skills in observing children continually, analyze and evaluate findings.
- Identify the difference in qualitative and quantitative observation.
- Gain an understanding of Early Learning Guidelines.
- Identify how observation and knowledge of individual development are connected.
- Recognize that an understanding a child’s development improve teaching and caring for that child.
* Currently Enrolled Students *
- Thank you Posted by Virginia on 17th Jun 2015
Thank you for bringing this format to the Stars program!
- I really liked all aspects of the training Posted by Jennifer on 15th Jan 2015
I really liked all aspects of the training and definitely will do more observing.
- Good Course Posted by Anne on 7th Aug 2014
The slides were concise and to the point and so was helpful to me. The pre-assesment was also very useful in helping me understand what this lesson was about.
2) The information to access the online course will be sent to the email address provided during enrollment hours.
*Times shown are Pacific Standard Time. If you are in Central or Eastern Time, you will need to adjust the time accordingly.
New Enrollments Are Set-Up During the Following Times:
Monday - Friday 7 am – 8 pm
Saturday & Sunday 9 am – 8 pm
Holidays 9 am – 8 pm
3) Registrations that are submitted after enrollment hours will be processed the next morning. You will receive an email with your log-in information to access the course within an hour after we open the next business day.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training is not tested on mobile devices or designed to be used on a mobile device. We are unable to provide technical support if you are attempting to use a mobile device (cell phone, tablet, or any other device other than a computer). And though many students may find that they are able to use their mobile device to complete the course, this training was developed to be done on a computer. Use of a mobile device is at your own risk.
6) This course uses multi-media video presentations. You will be required to view videos on your computer or mobile device in order to complete this course. Some students may find that they need to download Shockwave, Flash player or Java to view videos.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, or Java, in order to log into the course, this is most often the case when trying to use Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.